Sunday, October 20, 2013

Skull and Crossbones hat inspired by Jake and the Neverland Pirates

I'd been feeling some mom-guilt as I was finishing my orders this weekend, when suddenly I was inspired by my son's outfit choice.  He LOVES Jake and the Neverland Pirates (on Disney Junior), so when I asked him what he wanted to wear Saturday morning, of course he said Jake--meaning his one short sleeved (aka not appropriate for the weather) shirt cover with Jake and pirate motif.  So I layered it over a striped thermal and we went about our business.  

 After I put the final stitches on yet another Yoda hat, I wanted to make him something.  He loves wearing the Yoda Hats I make but I've yet to make one for him to keep, but then I noticed the skull and crossbones on J's shirt.  I thought, I could do that! But how?
 Then I remembered I'd pinned a skull applique a while back.  


The applique from Josh's Jake shirt is a bit different; the eyes are uneven, there's no nose, and the teeth are only the top set.  But it gave me a great idea about how to start.  In fact, I'd highly recommend that pattern to beginners compared to the pattern I am debating about whether to share.  Oh and I absolutely agree with the blogger--Caron Simply Soft Yarn is a great choice for appliques, of course I have it on hand, so that's what I used.  The crossbones were simple 10 single crochets with 2 picots at each end.

Then I followed my trusty beanie pattern, using Vanna's Choice Dark Heather Gray for most of the body and Scarlet for the stripe on the 11th and 12th row.
 I stitched on the applique carefully crossing the bones at just the right point.


Then I begged my brother to take some decent pictures.

  



Click here to see the listing on Etsy




No comments:

Post a Comment